If you are like me, you love reading motivational travel quotes. But there are some quotes out there, which seem to roam everywhere. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page”, to mention only one of them. Don’t get me wrong, I love this quote and I couldn’t agree more. However, if you are looking for something new, words, which truly stimulating and not outworn yet, check out the following list. I collected 57 rare inspirational travel quotes, which you might not have heard before.
Rare Inspirational Travel Quotes You Might Not Know Yet
1. “People forget years and remember moments.” — Ann Beattie
2. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
3. “Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
4. “A wise traveler never despises his own country.” – Carlo Goldoni
5. “Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.” – Aldous Huxley
6. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
7. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
8. “Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all of one’s lifetime.” – Mark Twain
9. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
10. “Traveling tends to magnify all human emotions.” — Peter Hoeg
11. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener
12. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
13. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
14. “Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure.” – Irving Wallace
15. “The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.” – Shirley MacLaine
16. “I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine.” – Caskie Stinnett
17. “When we get out of the glass bottle of our ego and when we escape like the squirrels in the cage of our personality and get into the forest again, we shall shiver with cold and fright. But things will happen to us so that we don’t know ourselves. Cool, unlying life will rush in.“ – D.H. Lawrence
18. “A man of ordinary talent will always be ordinary, whether he travels or not; but a man of superior talent will go to pieces if he remains forever in the same place.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
19. “People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the people they ignore at home.” – Dagobert D. Runes
20. “Half of the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness.” – Ray Bradbury
21. “Once you have travelled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy
22. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
23. “Travelling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station’.” – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran
24. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
25. “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe.” – Anatole France
26. “And if travel is like love, it is, in the end, mostly because it’s a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, undimmed by familiarity and ready to be transformed. That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end.” – Pico Iyer
27. “Every hundred feet the world changes.” – Roberto Bolaño
28. “Put down the map and get wonderfully lost.” – Unknown
29. “If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try.” – Seth Godin
30. “All you’ve got to do is decide to go and the hardest part is over.” – Tony Wheeler
31. “Never lose your sense of wonder.” – Lee Ann Womack
32. “We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.” – John Hope Franklin
33. “Too often… I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.” – Louis L’Amour
34. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs
35. “Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” – Mark Twain
36. “Time flies. It’s up to you to be the navigator.” – Robert Orben
37. “It doesn’t matter where you are. You are nowhere compared to where you can go.” – Bob Proctor
38. “When a man is a traveller, the world is his house and the sky is his roof, where he hangs his hat is his home, and all the people are his family.” – Drew Bundini Brown
39. “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, To gain all while you give, To roam the roads of lands remote: To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
40. “Every exit is an entry somewhere else.” – Tom Stoppard
41. “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.” – Albert Einstein
42. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. That you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” – Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky
43. “Trust me, it’s paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven’t tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It’s probably worth it.” – Richard, ‘The Beach’ (Alex Garland)
44. “Travelling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things – air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese
45. “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard
46. “To those who stay put, the world is but an imaginary place. But to the movers, the makers, and the shakers, the world is all around, an endless invitation.” – Unknown
47. “All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” – Samuel Johnson
48. ”The questions is not what you look at, but what you see.” – Henry David Thoreau
49. “Man does not simply exist but always decides what his existence will be, what he will become in the next moment.” — Viktor Frankl
50. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it. ” – John Mayer
51. “Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won’t come in.” — Alan Alda
52. “Conventional wisdom tells us… we take our baggage with us. I’m not so sure. Travel, at its best, transforms us in ways that aren’t always apparent until we’re back home. Sometimes we do leave our baggage behind, or, even better, it’s misrouted to Cleveland and is never heard from again.” — Eric Weiner
53. “Then you’re trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.” — Chuck Palahniuk
54. “All men have the stars,” he answered, “but they are not the same things for different people. For some, who are travelers, the stars are guides. For others, they are no more than little lights in the sky. Again for others, who are scholars, they are problems. For my businessman they were wealth. But all the stars are silent. You–you alone–will have the stars as no one else has them.”— The Little Prince
55. “There are people who put their dreams in a little box and say, ‘Yes, I’ve got dreams, of course, I’ve got dreams.’ Then they put the box away and bring it out once in awhile to look in it, and yep, they’re still there.” — Emma Bombeck
56. “I see too plainly custom forms us all. Our thoughts, our morals, our most fixed belief, are consequences of our place of birth.” — Aaron Hill
57. “The desire of knowledge, like the thirst of riches, increases ever with the acquisition of it.” — Laurence Sterne
Want more travel inspiration? Watch a movie about traveling! These awesome films will leave you absolutely speechless.
Let’s Go and Pack Our Bags!
Many of these rare inspirational travel quotes bring back emotions you have had when you were traveling. Others motivate you to live your life even more intense, more aware, to go for your dreams. Either way, I hope some of them were new to you and you feel just as motivated reading them as I did.
Do you know any other rare inspirational travel quotes? Share them with us in the comment section below!
You are just wonderful, I am getting in love with your amazing contents.
Absolutely true! Thanks for the additional quote, Tiffany! <3
Thank you for sharing those quotes. I really enjoyed it. It is very inspirational. I like the quote that “People forget years and remember moments.” by Ann Beattie. I also believe that we usually remember the wonderful moment and highlights of our lives instead of years. That’s why we need to seize the moment and do things we like.
Nice post thanks you so much!
Thanks a lot, Gord! :)
This is a great collection, thanks
Thank you, George! Glad you enjoyed them :)
Beautiful collection, thank you!