Since it is one of the most popular travel insurances out there and I have used them for many years, too, I think it’s time to make a comprehensive World Nomads travel insurance review.
Maybe you are just about to embark on the digital nomad lifestyle or maybe you have already started but realized that you need some more information about international health insurance. If so, check out the following blog post and learn what the World Nomads travel insurance is about.
Table of Contents
What Is World Nomads?
World Nomads is an Australian-based travel insurance company that is intended for independent travelers from over 100 countries. It was established in 2002 and has since kept travelers safe on their adventures around the world.
World Nomads is not only trusted by countless other famous travel bloggers, like Nomadic Matt or Goats On The Road, but also by Lonely Planet and National Geographic. So definitely a well-known company.
This travel insurance allows travelers to buy, extend and claim online, 24/7, on the road or from home. Some of the benefits include coverage for emergency medical and evacuation or repatriation, baggage, trip cancellation, and more than 150 adventure activities. The policies are supported by several global emergency assistance providers, with a proven track record in helping out our travelers worldwide.
World Nomads Travel Insurance Benefits
Let’s start with the World Nomads benefits:
1. For Nomads By Nomads
First of all, World Nomads is run by a team of nomads itself which means they know what this lifestyle is about and what struggles there are. Traveling as a digital nomad can be much different from traveling as a “normal tourist”. So it’s nice to know that the insurance provider understands the different needs.
2. Medical Coverage
World Nomads covers a wide range of different medical incidents. Without wanting to go too much into detail, I still want to give you an overview of the most important facts:
World Nomads travel insurance provides up to USD 100,000 in coverage. This cover includes not only medical expenses but also medical evacuation and repatriation in case you are injured. That means if you have an accident, for example somewhere in the mountains, and need to be evacuated to the next hospital, you are covered.
Moreover, your World Nomads plan covers emergency dental treatments if needed.
3. Worst-Case Coverage
Another important coverage is the one in case of accidental death. I know this is not something you want to think about. But it happens. And just in case it does, World Nomads pays a good sum to your beneficiary, for example, your parents.
In addition, they cover the costs of sending your body home. I personally wouldn’t want my family to have to deal with that, that’s why I always make sure my travel insurance includes this.
What’s more, they also payout in case you lose an arm, foot, eyesight, or anything like that.
4. Tech Gear Coverage
To me this is probably the second-best thing about World Nomads: They cover your expensive equipment, too. As a digital nomad, you have a decent laptop and smartphone with you all the time. Maybe a tablet or a camera and high-quality lenses? Every hobby photographers know how much this costs.
To be precise your electronics are covered when they:
- Are stolen while they were within your reach or supervised
- Are stolen from a safety box
- Get lost by a common carrier in the cargo hold or luggage trailer.
- Are accidentally damaged, destroyed by natural disaster or fire or by a common carrier
5. Adventure Activities Coverage
Yes, as a digital nomad, you spend a big portion of your new lifestyle in front of your laptop. After all, you are still working and not on a full-time backpacking trip. But that doesn’t mean that you won’t go out and explore your new countries, right? In that case, World Nomads got you covered, too.
They have a super long list of more than 150 activities that are included in their policy, including things like scuba diving or bungee jumping.
6. Work During Travel Coverage
Being a digital nomad you don’t just want to travel but also need to work during your trip, even if it’s just on your laptop. With World Nomads your online work does not affect your coverage so you are safe to travel and work.
7. Buy It From Anywhere
World Nomads allows you to buy their insurance from anywhere in the world. No need to be at home for that. So even if you forgot to buy travel insurance, you can still do so while traveling.
Plus, you can also extend it from anywhere. In case you decide to travel longer than originally planned, you will be covered.
8. Flexible Cancellation Policy
Let’s say you buy their insurance for 12 months. After 9 months you realize that the digital nomad lifestyle is not really your thing and that you don’t want to continue this lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that.
Or maybe there is another reason why you have to end or temporarily stop your journey, for instance, because you need to take care of a family member back home.
World Nomads allows you to cancel your policy before the end date. You don’t even need to finish in your home country.
More than that, if you have to cancel your trip before you started it World Nomads reimburses you for your prepaid expenses.
9. Easy Claim Process
The great thing with World Nomads is that you can make all your claims online, from wherever you are in the world. They also accept international doctors’ opinions, which is definitely needed when you are a digital nomad and not only on short-term trips.
More than that, they have 24/7 emergency assistance. The team is ready whenever you need to be connected to medical treatment or transportation. No need to wait for opening hours.
Extra Plus Point: Social Projects
This one has nothing to do with your personal coverage. However, it’s a nice additional benefit. World Nomads connects their customers (if they wish) to established charities, so they can help fund projects that they care about.
World Nomads pays for all administration and technology costs so that 100% of your micro-donations can go to the projects. So far they’ve managed to raise over $2.5 million for more than 150 community projects worldwide. Great idea!
World Nomads Travel Insurance: Good to Know
An important thing you need to keep in mind when it comes to World Nomads travel insurance is that you need to have a permanent residency during your coverage. For instance, if you are a US-American and want to travel for one year, you need to keep your residence in the US this year.
If you are just about to start your digital nomad lifestyle and are not really sure if you want to do this in the long run, you probably want to keep your home base anyway. The same goes for part-time digital nomads who like to travel or live abroad without giving up their residency.
Extra Tip: If you don’t have a residency, check out the travel healthcare provider SafetyWing. Their insurance policy doesn’t require a residency and they also offer reasonable prices and flexible contracts.
What World Nomads Travel Insurance Does NOT Cover
In the following cases, you are not covered by the World Nomad travel insurance:
- If you have any pre-existing conditions or want to get general check-ups while traveling
- If you disobey your doctor’s directions or those of World Nomad’s Emergency Assistance team
- If you’re irresponsible, reckless, or do not comply with local laws
- If you end up in alcohol or drug-related incidents
- If you lose cash or your cash gets stolen
- If your personal belongings get stolen, lost, or damaged because they were left unguarded
How Much Does World Nomads Cost?
World Nomads has very reasonable prices. Especially considering that they cover so many different incidents with such great service.
I cannot give you any exact prices here because these depend on many different factors such as your home country, travel period, and more. But you can get a quote for free with only a few clicks using the form on the World Nomads website.
World Nomads Benefits At A Glance
let’s quickly summarize the World Nomads benefits:
- For nomads by nomads – they understand your needs
- Wide coverage of medical expenses, medical evacuation, and repatriation
- Worst-case coverage, i.e. accidental death
- Tech gear coverage for stolen, damaged, or lost items
- 150 Adventure activities covered
- Online work during travel coverage
- Buy and extend from anywhere in the world
- Flexible cancellation policy
- Easy online claim process
- Support community development projects
World Nomads Downsides & World Nomads Alternatives
While World Nomads is surely a good insurance option, it may not be the right fit for every traveler. Some of the World Nomads’ downsides are, for instance:
- It is more expensive compared to some other insurance providers
- There is limited coverage for pre-existing conditions and
- Limited coverage for home visits
So if you are looking for some great World Nomads alternatives, here are my recommendations:
1. SafetyWing: This is specifically built for digital nomads by digital nomads. You can purchase it if you are already abroad and in addition to the usual medical coverage, it also covers things like home trip visits, natural disasters, and personal liability. On top of it, they also offer very affordable monthly rates starting at only $40. If you want to learn more, check out my SafetyWing review.
2. Insured Nomads: Here you can pick between travel insurance and health insurance. While the first one covers you for single or multiple trips throughout the year, the latter one allows you to live and work wherever you want.
3. True Traveler: They are very similar to World Nomads but at more affordable prices. Here you can get single or multiple-trip coverage. You can also purchase it while already traveling and it is designed for passionate travelers and backpackers. You can find policies for winter sports, trekking, or gap-year experiences.
If you want to learn more about these insurance plans or want to find even more Wold Nomads alternatives, check out this blog post on the best digital nomad insurance.
World Nomads Travel Insurance Review Summary
As you can see in this World Nomads travel insurance review, the company covers many different areas during your trip. I personally find it particularly interesting that they cover so many adventure activities, protect your gear, and you can buy cover while traveling.
But please keep in mind that whatever company you go for, always read the whole policy before buying! It is super important that you know exactly what is covered, what isn’t, and what kinds of certification you will need. In case you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call the insurance company. After all, it’s about your money and well-being.